Pre-Raya Activity

Salam and hi u'olls. Well few days had gone since I arrived in this 'sacred', 'power-projected imperial' and commerce city of Kuala Lumpur.
As I had mention previously, this month is the month of Ramadhan and the peak of the day is ofcourse the iftar time. To say that after weeks of iftar-ing as a student who is away from the family, the food on the table can be a little bit scarce but just to mention that, it is not actually due to the scarcity of food but mainly due to laziness.
Okay I guess people will definitely start to define me as a lazy bum from now on huhuhu...
But these few days have lead me to encounter abundant of food which is terrifiying to think of . Oh no no no, all my weight lost will regain itself even before Hari Raya, oh Nooo! O_o
Yesterday was the first iftar out and it was a sushi night and tonight we had thai food..oh noooo again. I guess I have to say goodbye to a lesser weight.
Anyway, as a way to put myself away from my course, I am reading a selection of books that I brought back from penang to indulge myself with the pursuit of knowledge. Yay!
As I mentioned above, the term sacred, power-projected imperial and commerce came from the book that I currently reading which is called The City - A Global History by Joel Kotkin. Those terms are what the author means by the pillars that A City will sits upon during its foundation until the end of its time.
When the author mentioned sacred, it points that every city will be created upon religion or something sacred.
The term power-projected imperial means the secure feeling of being in the city. With the feeling of security people will be able to start doing business and trading.
And the last one is the commerce city which involves trading and business that city can offer to itself and its surrounding.
So I asked myself and ponder whether my city of Kuala Lumpur is what kind of city? Does it have 1 of the three or two of the three or all of them?
If we think about sacredness, I wonder whether the sacredness comes from the Masjid Negara or Twin Tower?
For the security are we feeling secure enough and does the investors feel secure as well?
I guess Kay Ell is a commerce city, that I am assure of. The trading of Malaysia mainly depends on KL as the hub of commerce. Maybe we can include Selangor for this matter as well. 
But to be build solely on the purpose of commerce without having any of the 2 of above, it is proven historically by the civilisation of Phoenicians and the city-states of Italy where they focus solely on the commerce and due to this, they are not able to ward off any foreign invasion and was never united for the purpose of surviving. 
So what kind of city are we building?

Comments

Popular Posts