A view on P. Ramlee's Biography In History Channel

Salam and good morning u'olls!

It is early in the morning and I tried hard not to sleep after having my sahur and believed me it is hard when you always sleep around 1-2 am in the morning. Anyway I managed to do so this morning and thanks to my lovely Hazelnut White Coffee and I am up until now ie 8.27 am.

My plan for the morning is actually to finish reading the book The City but I remembered that I had recorded a documentary about P. Ramlee. I read so many responses from my friend/ saying it is worthy to watch for. Basically it is a worthwhile to watch.

For me it is an eye opener in regards to P. Ramlee and his movies. He is a really talented and genius among his man at that time and even for people in the future aka our time.

His great movies were somehow influence by his life and when watching this documentary, I always wonder how he had develop this kind of  ‘Weltanschauung’ or worldview when he was making his movies.

Why am I saying this is because his movie does not lack at all in term of religious, nationhood (the malay culture) and the ethics of life. When did it occurs? Is it really during his peak ie during his film making? I would disagree on this as his talent is not something that came in vacuum. Something must have preceded, seeding and implanted inside him during his younger age.

One that is lacking in this documentary is about his background especially his parents and maybe his siblings. His father is an Acheh sailor and I wonder what is his background education and how this had shaped P. Ramlee life especially his worldview. Does he has ulama' behind him all these time especially when he produced the movie keluarga 69 and Semerah Padi. How on earth he is able to materialised that kind of movie without having someone to educate him on this matter. Or is it something he learnt way back before he indulged himself in entertainment industry which is before he was 17 years old ? Why am I saying this is because to compare current 'Islamic' labelling film is totally a beginner in comparison to P. Ramlee's Semerah Padi. Current movie always lingering around 'soft' issue and lacking the expression that suit Malay's culture which is easier to penetrate if it is used well. The current 'Islamic' movie always tried to associate himself totally with Arabic appearance that seems like the Malayness does not sound Islamic at all, but is it true of what they (producer, script writer, and even audiences) think?

Anyway, it can be concluded that there is someone who is behind him all these time that enlightened him to produced a movie that has all the themes above.

So the documentary is divided into three parts which are the early life that is short and lacking, the peak of his life and the downfall of his career. Here I would like to explore the 3rd phase of his life which is the downfall of his career. It seems that the rakyat of Malaysia had dejected him plus with the help of the 'authority' that had lead P. Ramlee life down in the hierarchy.

It seems that the input of the foreign music especially from the west especially the Beetles and the gangs had destroyed his career due to the swing of Malaysian fans towards these kind of music. How had P. Ramlee who won the most versatile talent from the outside festival can be booed by the local crowds? How rude were they?

P. Ramlee had stated in one of his interview, " If WE don't instill our traditional music in our children heart, one day I fear other forms of music will take over and fill the void in their hearts. It's the same as teaching children religion. No matter how far they go, they wouldn't change their religion because it's embedded in their hearts by their parents. Same as music. Once it's in them, it stays forever."


Is this the part of why he was hated by many people including the journalist? It is mentioned in the documentary that the newspapers had been negatively critical towards him which lead to his downfall.

I believe he is a man with virtue and thus able to say something very strong in his statement like above and also in his movies.

And I believe that the common people during that time were people with captive mind as mentioned in Syed Hussein Al-Attas's thesis: Intellectual Imperialism:- Definition, Traits & Problem.

I am not saying that the common people nowadays are freed from it either and also I am not saying that it is confined to the mass only as it is including our leaders, intellectuals, academicians, karyawan and others.

It has even becoming worsen years by years currently with all of them are confused and under inferiority-complex personality trait.

For example,
The current issues of TITAS, national language and many more.

For the music trend, I had this conversation with my friend about how he hated having Korean songs in Malay Radio Channel and yet he is ignorant with the Western songs flooding the same chart. The same goes to others who hated Korean songs so much but he/she is lingering around Western songs and disgust Malay Traditional songs. The newer generation will be like 'panas telinga' listening to zapin, and keroncong but warmly embraced Western music.

The same goes to religious affair (I am not an authority in this), they warmly embracing Arab appearance and totally disgust Malay culture by always emphasizing the un-Islamic-ness is the Malay culture. Sometimes I wonder whether is it really un-Islamic or either they are not able to comprehend and synthesis the Malay culture and rather than purifying the Malay, all they think of is to reject totally everything. Which is from my point of view is wrong and I believe on other side.

Anyway enough for today and this is all what is in my mind when I was watching the whole documentary and I like this kind of thinking process.

I guess I had write a lot and my Energy Booster has lost its effect hehehe

That is all for now, adios amigos!
KA

p/s: wow, 1058 words. That is a lot of exercise for an early morning \(^_^)/

Comments

Popular Posts